Tuesday 17 April 2012

My Golfing 'Bucket List'

As seems to be the trend nowadays, I thought I would document my very own 'bucket list' - those courses that I have a desire to play before the game retires me. I'm sure there are some in here which people have played and are therefore well placed to offer opinions/suggestions.

Augusta National
The ubiquitous and, some might say, obligatory entry on the list is also, I suspect, the most unlikely to be ticked off. I make a concerted effort to spend some quality time in front of the TV every April, watching what some believe to be the start of the real golf season unfold - the continuous development and enhancement in the coverage provided has brought what makes this course so special and unique into the homes of the wider world like never before.

The incredible contours of the land, the outrageous slopes on the greens and, of course, fairways in better condition than many a living room carpet all serve to remind us plebs how far removed we are from that experience.


Whilst I am realistic enough to know that this dream is very, very unlikely to ever be fulfilled (roughly on a par with winning the Lottery, I suspect), I am hopeful of being able to at least experience a visit to the Masters tournament. A combination of (mostly boring) factors meant that I had to turn down a ticket to the 2012 Masters, but I have now registered myself in the ballot and will continue to do so until such time as I can say I have been there.

The full Open rota
I regard The Open as the premier major event on the golfing calendar, the history and style making it stand head and shoulders above the other three 'big ones'. I also regard it as a shame, however, that, with nine courses on the rota, the list is relatively small. 

When you add into the equation that the Old Course at St Andrews, the Home of Golf & one of the most iconic tracks in the world (but generally regarded as actually not the best course in St Andrews, let alone Scotland), hosts the Open every five years, it means that the other courses currently involved get the thin end of the wedge, so to speak.


My mini-list, therefore, contains all the courses that have hosted the Open - Old Course St Andrews, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Turnberry (Ailsa), Royal Troon, Royal St Georges, Royal Birkdale, Royal Lytham & St Annes, Royal Liverpool, Prestwick, Musselburgh Links, Royal Cinque Ports, Prince's & Royal Portrush.

I am lucky enough to have started the completion of this mini-list already, with the several times I have played Royal Birkdale, but there are many more courses here which need a visit. Thankfully, they are all relatively accessible (compared to Augusta, of course) with the right amount of cash changing hands.

Pebble Beach
The incredible links at Pebble, hugging the coastline of the Monterey Peninsula, has played host to the US Open on five occasions, most recent of which was when Ulsterman Graeme McDowell won in 2010.


I have visited Pebble Beach, whilst on a family holiday to California in 1992 (before golf was a real interest, to be honest), and I would love the opportunity to go back and take in a game. The course is accessible to the public, for the appropriate, coronary-inducing green fee and the not insignificant travel time even from Los Angeles but I have no doubt it is worth the effort.

Bethpage Black
The first public course to host the US Open, in 2002 and 2009, the Black course at Bethpage is widely regarded as the toughest test of golf. From the slightly foreboding welcome sign, to the immaculately manicured fairways, brutal rough and numerous bunkers, its a not a course for the faint-hearted.
Whilst the course is public, the consensus seems to be that it's relatively tricky to get on and play, due to its popularity. Whilst it isn't cheap, it's certainly a fraction of the cost of the green fee at Pebble Beach which undoubtedly contributes to its busy nature. The days of sleeping overnight in the car park to secure a tee time are, thankfully, no longer a necessity due to the automated reservations system for which anyone can register.

I am fortunate enough that my work will be taking me to New York in the middle of May and it is my intention to try and tick this item off my list. Exactly how this will pan out remains to be seen but it would seem extremely rude to be a short train ride away with a spare weekend and to not do my best to get out and play this amazing course.

Valderrama
The jewel of southern Spain, the #1 course in Continental Europe, host of the 1997 Ryder Cup &, latterly, the Andalucia Masters, this course is one that I once came very close to playing back in 2003. It was my first family holiday to Spain and, over the two weeks, we played six times at a variety of places. 

The cost implications of a round at Valderrama were, at the time, significant and the delay in coming to a decision about playing meant that the tee times for visitors were fully booked for the time we were there. At the time, I wasn't duly bothered as we had some amazing experiences at other courses in Andalucia, but the prospect of it set up an itch which I haven't yet scratched.

Now, a round will set you back in the region of 300 Euros which, to be blunt, is bloody expensive but, for the opportunity to have a pop at #17 in two, it's got to be worth it.


So there we are. My bucket list. Some of these are more accessible than others; some are more expensive than others.

All of them are incredible.


I am the Part-Time Golfer.

1 comment:

  1. Challenging! =D But these are the kind of golf courses that I would want to go to with my family. I guess we have the same bucket list. I mean, who wouldn't want to score a hole-in-one in these places where the pros make history in golf? Did you know that Bill Gates is one of the notable members of Augusta National?

    Jeni Seckman

    ReplyDelete